September 04, 2007

Upgrading to openoffice 2.0

Since the Linux box updating has now started I also decided to update the open office package. First I had to rid the old installation:
rpm -e openoffice.org-i18n openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-libs openoffice.org

The above removed all openoffice 1.1 dependencies. Then the latest open office package needs to be installed:
tar -zxvf OOo_2.2.1_LinuxIntel_install_da_rpm.tar.gz

Since the installation script did not seem to work for me, I decided to use RPM to get the packages in manually. To avoid dependency problems here a one liner:
ls *.rpm |xargs rpm -ivh

Yes I like to know what is going on ;)
Now all you have to do is create the links you need for the old open office desktop links to work,
ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/swriter /usr/bin/oowriter
ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/scalc /usr/bin/oocalc
ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/sdraw /usr/bin/oodraw

Finally a link to the openoffice common program:
ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/soffice /usr/bin/soffice

That's it you're now ready for the open document standard. Have phun!? Notice, that my OO could not import the old user settings? Seems there was an error in a script file. This may very well be because my installation was way to old!

No comments: