October 07, 2008

iSync and Nokia N81

For years I have been wondering why Nokia didn't support my precious Powerbook. But I just found out (guess it's old news already) that it's possible to sync my N81 phone and the applications I use on the Mac.

phoneboy.com and Nokia both explain how to do this with the supported phones.

But there seem to be a catch with N81. Nokia have addressed this issue by launcing a installer package. This pakage is available by entering N81 in the search field at the Nokia iSync support page.

Once the plugin has been installed there are still some tweaks to do. This is because (at least on my machine running osx 10.4.10) the plugin got installed in the library
/Library/PhonePlugins/Nokia_N81_1v1.phoneplugin

Instead of inside the iSync.app folder.
So, simply copy the plugin contents to the iSync.app folder:
cp -r /Library/PhonePlugins/Nokia_N81_1v1.phoneplugin /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/

and rename the Nokia_N81_1v1.phoneplugin so it used the naming convention already in the folder. On my machine this means issuing:
cd /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/

And
mv Nokia_N81_1v1.phoneplugin Nokia-N81.phoneplugin

This brings up the synchronization, once the device have been added to iSync, follow the normal device add procedure on iSync.

I still have issues with synchronizing the phone and iTunes. But I guess I'll work this out later. As long as my calendar and contacts are in sync I can live with the music for now.

1 comment:

Anders Poulsen said...

Try http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/
itunemywalkman should do the job.

For iSync plugins you can also get the ones from NovaMedia. They took care of my 6220 Classic