September 29, 2012

Nvidia on Linux mint 13

I own a Lenovo thinkpad W520 (well work owns it but I'm using it) it runs Linux mint 13 - mate with the latest generic-pae kernel. At writing (3.2.0-31). At work when my machine is docked I need support for multiple monitors, and for this I need the Nvidia drivers. Here's the recipe that worked for me.

reboot your machine hold the blue ThinkVantage key and go into the bios menu.

  1. Choose the nvidia graphis card. It's called discrete graphics in the display bios display menu item.
  2. Then disable the optimus os detection setting.
  3. save & exit

Once you're booted into the mate desktop and logged in, enable the xorg edgers ppa
There's a recipe in the link. Then, do a

# sudo aptitude install nvidia-current nvidia-setting

I rebooted, and had nvidia graphics for dual monitors, but there's no intel graphics saving when I'm undocked!

I tried a buncha stuff from various blogs and forums, but nothing worked for me except disabling the optimus setting in the bios. The nvidia module was inserted but not activated. There's a number of ways to look at your gfx loading to help you locate the error.

Checking if glx is running:
# glxinfo

Looking at info from the Xserver startup:
# egrep '\((EE|WW|NI)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Checking that the glx module is loaded:
# egrep -i 'glx|nvidia' /var/log/Xorg.0.log


Check the references for details: Nvidia-304.51 X-swat Changing driver dual gfx cards Xorg-wiki

No comments: