January 12, 2006

Getting an office suite

On my old slack box I used to run OpenOffice. On my Mac box I want to run OpenOffice as well. So I started looking around to find the mac compatible version. Notice the X11 at the end of the filename.

This means that X11 is needed to run the darn thing! But phear not, here's how to install open office and x11 and even the official apples guide. This was my starting point! I spend some time looking at instalation results and comments before I decided to go else where.

After googling about I choose NeoOffice and XDarwin. Both installed from binary images with no setup, the easy way. First I installed XDarwin, then NeoOffice. This was really easy all you have to do is follow the instructions for both items.

Once you're done two application icon are added to the /Applications/ directory, namely: neooffice and xdarwin. Started NeoOffice and it was like my old slack box! I can start documenting my work for work ;)

One thing happened though, this was after installing the XDarwin application X11 server. My dock changed to the default values? I guess that this came from startig the xservices in Tiger but I'm just guessing here.

I could change the dock back to my prefered setting, and it is still keeping them so I'm a still a happy guy.

No comments: