January 31, 2006

Emacs revisited

I already installed auqa emacs but that application did not copy an paste at all :( So I decided to install GnuEmacs.

First, I tried the binary package but that didn't work ;( So, I attempted to build the latest version for mac. In the instructions the cvs commando has been replaced. So do a
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
Cause the cvs ssh has been replaced with the pserver.

To build enacs for mac use the carbon app framework
cd emacs
./configure --enable-carbon-app --without-x
make bootstrap
sudo make install
According to the ./emacs/mac/INSTALL file, The application is installed in /Application/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

I found mine in /Applications/Emacs.app. I don't know is this application is the one mentioned in the INSTALL file, I think it is, but that doesen't really matter.

I simply dragged the Emacs.app to the Dock for fast and easy execution. There's a great reference for setting up your mac for programming

No comments: